Monday, January 25, 2021

Introduction from 24 to 25

 Well, my name is David Czovek and I had just turned 24 this time last year. I was in Indian Epics with Laura in the Spring and thought I'd reuse this blog post but update it with what has happened since. So in case, you're wondering I am now 25! You're probably thinking "that's a tad old for an undergrad" and you'd be correct but that's what makes this all the more fun. I am from a city in Connecticut called Bristol and graduated in the spring of 2014 from Bristol Central high school. On a normal track, I should've finished my undergrad in the spring of 2018. While in high school, I applied to 8 schools and got into all of them. I decided upon Baylor University. I had never been to Texas and was excited to get away from home and go somewhere warmer. I enrolled as a General Engineering major and by the end of my freshman year, I realized it was not for me. Typical freshman who didn't know and was trying different things. I ended up switching my major 2 more times. Finally, I went to my counselor and she had me take tests to figure out what careers would be best for me. The results? They all came back: middle tier, a great candidate for any occupation... I was very annoyed.


I continued on and thought well let's keep getting gen-eds done. After a while I decided upon physics for a major: it was one of my favorite subjects and I excelled at math and science. I took your basic calculus' all three of them, took your differential equations class (a step above all the calculus'), even higher level physics courses. So at this point, I am 22 turning 23 and I have credits in multiple degrees with no actual degree and to make matters worse? Yep, I am now realizing that I would not be happy doing anything in the realm of physics... So what to do?


I went home that Christmas a tad annoyed and unsure. My parents then asked if I'd like to shadow around and I said 'why the heck not'. I ended up shadowing my uncle who owns his own dental practice. I instantly fell in love. Backstory: I was the kid obsessed with clean teeth, loved going to the dentist, got toothbrushes as presents for Christmases and birthdays. I never thought about it as a career. I loved that my uncle got to help people in a social atmosphere and it was over one of the things I loved: dental hygiene. So as I made my way back to Texas I had a lot to think about. My next step was a year-long internship that I had previously committed to, in where of all places? Yep, Oklahoma! Even though it took time away from what I thought I really wanted I was grateful for it because it caused me to look into OU as a transfer option. It was cheaper and had its own dental school. I finally sent in my application made the commitment to transfer and here I am and last spring was my first semester at OU! I am finishing my prerequisites done for dental school while getting a B.S. in biology (the fastest thing I could get while coinciding with my reqs). It's been a whirlwind for sure. 


In December of 2019, I welcomed 24 finally the year that I'd figure everything out (or so I think) with direction and purpose and I wouldn't take a second to look behind me, just focused on the horizon. The me who was 24 and thinking all this did not know something named COVID was about to happen two months later. Hindsight being 20/20 I now know 2020 coincided with COVID and a lot of cultural strife here in the US but to be honest I will not remember 2020 as 2020 I will remember it as 24. Regardless of what happened this past year, I crushed it in life; in my fitness, in my academics, in all my goals, while overcoming the craziness of the world around me. The thing is there are two types of people in this world: those who make excuses and those who find a way and during 2020 I found a way. I looked mediocrity in the face along with every struggle and obstacle this past year and knocked it all out of the park. So yes I'm now 25 and yes I am still an undergrad but man am I peaking now and I'm still going up. Here's to 25!



11 comments:

  1. Hi David! I don't think you're alone in not being sure what you want to do as you enter college. But I'm glad to hear that it sounds like you've found a path that interests you! My friend from back home went to Baylor for a little while but then transferred as well, so I'm a little familiar with the campus from her stories. That's exciting that you settled on a B.S. in Biology, because I'm a Biology major myself! I might be a little biased, but I think it's a pretty great major. :) I hope 2021 is as good as it sounds like your 2020 was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David,
    I was also in Indian Epics in the spring, that is really cool that in all that time you found something you are passionate about. OU has a really good dental school and I am a pre-dentistry major as well. Biology is the easiest track to take when applying to dental school because all of the classes are pretty much the same as the requirements. Congrats on 25, hope you continue to crush your goals! Look forward to reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David! Like you, I also was having a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do. I was previously a Biology major and I know how difficult it is so kudos to you for going with that major. I’m glad that you were able to find what you wanted to do, and I wish you the best of luck for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi David! :) I liked your comment on my intro! I'm so excited to hear you're interested in dentistry too. Yes, I took the DAT last June :) It was supposed to be in April but got delayed 3(!!) times. My scores were AA: 20 // pat: 19 // QR: 19 // RC: 23 // bio: 20 // chem and orgo: 20s // total science: 20. I used DAT bootcamp

    I applied to 12 schools this past fall (which, btw, was like $2500 in fees and stuff. yuck) and I got interviews for OU, Nova, and LECOM. I got accepted into OU and I'm waitlisted for Nova (Nova is my #1).

    I'm so excited for you!! Dentistry is really cool and it's nice knowing people who share my liking for teeth lol. I'm glad you've found your path. Would love to chat more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David!

    I can relate to the difficulty of finding a major that you really enjoy. It's crazy that they make you pick those things out at 18 years old, when your frontal lobe isn't even fully developed yet! I'm glad that you finally found something you like and feel like you can be happy doing as a career! I wish you all the best in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey David,
    I can already relate to you from your first paragraph. I also applied to Baylor (however I ended up coming straight to OU), but I also struggled freshman and sophomore year to figure out my path. I took similar career tests and most of them also put me in the middle category. How little help! From there it is super cool to hear that through all the things you've gone through that you are discovering a passion and pursuing it! Congratulations on all the great things you've done and goals that you've accomplished! Encouraging to read and good luck continuing your pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David! I think that it great that you branched out and moved so far from home. I wish I would have done that at times because I am only 20 minutes away from my hometown, but I love OU so here I am. I agree that choosing a major was tough because what 18 year old really knows what they want to do for the rest of their lives? I am glad that you eventually figured out what you wanted to do and you actually enjoy which is what matters. Good luck with the rest of your career as an undergrad and dental school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey David,
    It makes sense for someone to change major multiple times before knowing exactly what program to go to. I changed mine from Biology, to Chemical Biosciences, and then finally end up with Microbiology. It is amazing that you came all the way from Connecticut to Baylor and eventually here. I would not have the gut to do that but like you said, there are two types of people. However, I recently learned to not make excuses and instead just do. Good luck with your undergrad and dental school!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed those Intro post, David, but I am so glad I found it and YES to finding a way to climb that peak even in 2020 and 2021. This has been such a terrible time for so many people, but when I hear stories like this about breakthroughs and insight and success during the pandemic semesters, that makes me feel really happy and glad that, somehow, we can keep on going with school and work and moving ahead while we can. I had some big writing breakthroughs not just during the pandemic but because of the pandemic; it was because of not being able to visit my dad that I started writing the Tiny Tale books, and now that has morphed into my new career. I think I would still gladly trade that in if we could have skipped the pandemic... but if there has to be a pandemic, I am glad for any good news we can come up with! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey David!
    You and I have very similar stories! I started my college career at Baylor as well! I was in physics and realized I hated that subject so much haha! I ended up switching my major twice until I realized I wanted to get into biology and transferred here to OU! I personally don't want to be a dentist but I know a few who do and I understand it is not easy work! Best of luck in college!

    ReplyDelete
  11. David,

    I think that it is amazing that you never settled for what you knew you would not enjoy! It doesn't matter if you are 21 or 25 as an undergrad as long as you are on a path to do what you want to do! I think age would hold a lot of people back from doing what they want, but I admire that you did not let that stop you from doing life your way! Congrats, and I am very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Week 12 Reading A: Beowulf

King Hygelac and Queen Hygd of Geatsland The Geats were warriors. Caves were inhabited by monsters and beasts found in the forests. Hygd was...