Sunday, April 11, 2021

Microfiction: Precious Stones/

"In the world of glitter and glam, you have to shine or be one of a kind.  If not you'll be left behind, unwanted and unmined..." - Diya

A picture of me and my family - Tawny
(Me: third row-fourth from the right)

My name is Tawny, I was mined in Tanzania and come from a family of Tanzanite. A precious stone you probably haven't heard of unless your birthday is in December and your mom is one of those... No shame at all, just a stone that is 1000 times rarer than diamonds yet still underrated, widely unknown, and most importantly undersold. I've been shipped all over the world and for some reason no one wants me. My cut is trillion, my color is pure, and I'm a size 7 and still nada... I'm waiting for the day that my special person comes to take me away, to enjoy a life of fancy dinners, holiday parties, and if I'm truly lucky everyday life. Let's be honest though, that the last one is just a pipedream, Diamonds are the only ones who get to enjoy every day with their person... No one gives an engagement ring made out of Tanzanite. My mom said she hadn't seen it since 1979 during the big Tanzanite boom when everyone went crazy for a short while over us. Well here's to 2021 being the year I make it into someone's jewelry box. 

Always blue, 

Tawny. 

Blog entry: Jan, 01, 2021



Bibliography:

Birthstone | Tanzanite - BirthStone.com

Tanzanite - Wikipedia


Author's Note: I wanted to do a microfiction blog-type storyline every week. I decided to animate my birthstone the Tanzanite. I hope Doing one 200 word story was okay instead of two 100 word stories. I know it somewhat defeats the purpose but I really liked what I made and really liked the whole microfiction aspect. Is it still considered a microfiction if it's this long? Should I just make it into two blog entries? Thanks for all the feedback!

2 comments:

  1. Hey David!
    My most recent story was in the form of a letter too how crazy is that? I had never heard of this gem before and did not realize they were so valuable. From what I know about the gemstone industry is diamonds are worth a lot more than they should be. But hey I guess if the demand is there then people will pay the money I guess. Writing in the perspective of the stone was a cool twist! I wonder what their day to day lives are like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    I love how you made this a story but also educated your audience! I had never heard of Tanzanite, so it's cool to learn about it in this fashion. Are there specific reasons as to why it's not as popular as Diamonds? What makes Diamonds so much more popular? Great job on your story and personifying the precious gemstone.

    ReplyDelete

Week 12 Reading A: Beowulf

King Hygelac and Queen Hygd of Geatsland The Geats were warriors. Caves were inhabited by monsters and beasts found in the forests. Hygd was...