Thursday, February 11, 2021

Week 3 Story: Andy's Iliad Part A

Andy's Iliad:

 One day in Andy's room the day was going about normally and the toys were getting things done. Woody and Jessie were riding Bullseye and practicing for the first-ever great Toy Games. These games would include events like chariot races, platform leaps, and reciting catchphrases amongst other various events. 

As Sid (the bully from next door) was walking by he peered into Andy's room and couldn't believe what he saw as the toys were moving about on their own. He saw Jessie riding Bulleyes and when her eyes met his she yelled "ANDY's COMING" through her gritted teeth. All the toys went inanimate but Sid had already seen enough. He climbed through the window and grabbed Jessie along with Andy's jar that he kept his allowance in.

After he left Woody yelled for all the toys to gather and create a plan to get Jessie and the allowance back! He called on Buzz the most fearless toy in Andy's toy box to lead an expedition of green army men at night to Sid's house and bring Jessie back! After 9 nights of trying to get into Sid's Tree House without being missed at Andy's or seen by Sid, they could not breach it.

Buzz informed Woody that his men were tired and needed to return back to Andy's to rest and recuperate for a day or two. Woody would not have it and told Buzz if he wouldn't help then he should just leave the toy box. Just as Buzz was about to tackle Woody Andy's mom walks in and the toys drop. She picks up Buzz and notes how dirty he is and she takes him with her.... 



TO BE CONTINUED...


Author's Note:

I decided to do my take on the Iliad but use the setting and theme of Toy Story one of my favorite Disney movies. I thought I could use the strife between Buzz and Woody and mirror it to that of King Agamemnon and Achilles. You'll notice I changed the Athens to Andys toy box and Troy to Sid's Tree House. I also changed nine years of war with Troy to nine nights.\Athena who stops Achilles from striking down King Agamemnon in time is depicted by Andy's mom because parents are a higher power than kids which was fitting enough for me! I hope you enjoyed it so far, I look to continue it next week! 


Bib:

Homer's Iliad: A condensed prose retelling of Homer's Trojan War epic by Alfred Church

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    This is such an amazing idea. I absolutely love the combination of Toy Story (also one of my favorite Disney movies) with the Iliad. Super creative and I really like the story thus far. Switching the reaction of Sid from being terrified by the toys in the movie, to being confident and showing no fear in this story, is an interesting twist. I am excited to see where the story goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I love the crossover with an ancient Greek classic and Toy Story, and I enjoyed the suspenseful ending. What are Andy's thoughts on this? Has he noticed Jesse and his missing allowance? I bet this could be an interesting side plot development. Perhaps he suspects it was the bully next door. Or perhaps he gets his mom involved, and the toys continue to help them without getting caught? These are just some of my ideas.
    I'll be looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Week 12 Reading A: Beowulf

King Hygelac and Queen Hygd of Geatsland The Geats were warriors. Caves were inhabited by monsters and beasts found in the forests. Hygd was...